DatKingShh Troy Brown Interview @troybrowntv

DatKingShh Troy Brown Interview


1.       How did you get your name?
A: Its pretty straight forward. I couldn't think of another rap name that I liked. But if I had it to do over again, I would probably choose something different

2.    What inspired you to become a rap artist?
A: I used to rhyme wit the homies and write but I didn't really pursue it. Then one my boys showed me this battle rap video and I thought "I can do that". So I started doing shows and rap battles in my city. And a mutual friend put me in touch Pumpkinhead/PH and he put me onto the battle rap circuit.

3.       When did you start? And have you created any records yet? or mixtape?
A: This is my first mixtape. I been recording records here and there since 2014 but this my first first full body of work.

4.       What’s your favorite thing to do when you aren’t writing/producing/playing etc?
A:  I'm a big fan of boxing. So you might catch me watching a boxing match, or checking out some analysis or something like that.

5.       Who are your musical inspirations?
A: My biggest musical inspirations are Eminem, Kanye, Flo' Rida, and Drake. I got a lot of inspirations but those dudes are the main ones who inspire me right now.

6.       What kind of music do you listen to today?
A: I listen to a lil bit of everything really. Its a million different platforms to check out new sounds and new music. My favorite thing now is platforms that add context or perspective to the music. I'm a fan of writers/bloggers/podcaster who put as much care into their presentation of the music as the artists put into making it. I'll check out anything from a music journalist who has dope insight before I listen to a big name site/radio station/dj play whatever the cool record at the moment is.

7.       What surprises would we find in your music collection?
A: People will be surprised at the variety in the music. The first three songs I previewed from the album were Cheah, Gotta Get It, and Gold and they all three sound different from one another. I took that from Biggie's playbook. You could play 10 Big records that have his signature style and bars, and then play another 10 that's nothing like that at all. But they all blend it and he's not reaching. He was in the pocket every time. That keeps the album moving so to speak. It never gets stagnant or repetitive. 

8.       Todays music is about collaborations what "hot" rapper out now, you would love to work with on a project?
A: This joint has collabs with artist I like and respect. I got Copywrite, Garrett Raff, The Author, Rob Valentine and Farnum on this joint. I got another one that's gonna surprise a lot of people but I won't say right now. I want to catch people off guard with this one. It's definitely gonna wake a lot of people up.

9.       What do you think your listeners will get out of your music?
A: Hopefully this tape will make people think about the world a lil different and motivate people to challenge themselves, and challenge the each other and reshape how we go about shit. And hopefully it'll motivate em to challenge me too. The first line of the record is "First of all I'm not a rapper, I'm a truth teller..." so I want people to hold my feet to the fire, too. I want that to be the thesis statement for my whole career so for that to happen I need people to call me out on my bullshit sometimes. I want the music to be fun and have artistic merit, but I want to also say something that'll spark conversation.

10.   What do you hope to do with your music?
A: I'm calling this mixtape a benefit album because I'm going to donate all of the proceeds from sales to different charitable causes. It's gonna be free, so you don't have to pay for it but if you want to give some money for it then it'll be going to something positive. I wanna make money just like everybody else. But I want to use the music to do some good in the world.

11.   Where do you see the generation heading?
A: Musically, the generation is heading into a cool place. Music is brining people together from different backgrounds. The other day I saw a republican senator's 15 year old son dabbing at a swearing in ceremony. Right in front of Mitt Romney's old running mate. That might as well be Ronald Reagan's grandson. His pops ain't know what the hell he was doing. They thought he had to sneeze or some shit like that, you feel me? That picture said 1,000 words about where the generation is going. I love it.

12.   Is there any advice you'd like to give to young aspiring rappers?
A: Rap is a risky dream. There's no risk in becoming a doctor or lawyer. You just go to school. And if you pass the tests you're in. That's it. There ain't no textbook or tutors for being a rapper. You gotta figure that shit out on your own. So you really gotta believe in yourself and work hard.

13.   What projects should we be on the lookout for in the near future?
My mixtape The Reality Show. Dropping March 14th. You can stream it off my website. Or stream it on soundcloud. Check it out.

@troybrowntv

Comments

Popular Posts