Death Chamberz Music Interview IRusH


Death   Chamberz Music Interview IRusH

1.       How did you get your name?
Well after multiple failed attempts at getting a name to stick, I arrived at IRusH, which might be a little more complex than it appears. It's just my name (Russ Hartley) crammed together, but I put the "I" before to remind myself that it all comes from me and pure artistic expression. It's easy to get wrapped up in competition and business, and I never want to forget that music needs to be an extension of myself and that although I love making music more than anything, it is still only a part of my life.

2.    What inspired you to become artists?
It all started from being a writer. I've always had a lot on my mind and so I've always had a lot to say. It's kind of weird that my life is the way it is, but it actually makes perfect sense when I think about it. I've always loved music and felt a strong urge to express myself. The ability and opportunity to create is too much fun for me to explore other areas, although I still try to stay balanced by writing books, blogs, music video scripts etc. Now Hip Hop is so engrained in my mind that it has reaaly consumed my life, but I fucking love that!

3.       When and how  did you start? And have you created any records yet? or mixtape?
I started writing Hip Hop music at the age of 17 and really didn't intend to record any of it until one day I had a binder full of one-liners and thought, "what the hell, might as well put this to use". I've recorded hundreds of songs, but what I'm most proud of is my current project I'm in the midst of recording entitled, "Sinfluence". It's an LP that is split between some giant radio records along with some darker mainstream trap music. Right now the LP is slated for a Fall 2014 release, which will probably surface in mid-November.

4.       What’s your favorite thing to do when you aren’t writing/producing/playing etc?
Ahh man so many things. I like to be well-rounded so whether it's just kicking it with some friends, staying active or reading philosophy, I find all of it super fun! I'm a current student at Michigan State University, so I spend a lot of my time outside music just studying and keeping up with my schoolwork. 

5.       Who are your musical inspirations?
It really changes all the time. There are a few artists such as Lupe Fiasco, Drake, Kanye West, Nas, Lil Wayne that I tend to always go back and listen to, but it really depends on where I want to take my next project. I've been digging a lot of Young Thug and Chance the Rapper lately. Those dudes are so informal with their delivery that it makes the listening experience fun as hell! 

6.       What kind of music do you listen to today?
Sometimes I dabble a little in EDM music, but I listen to Hip Hop on a day-to-day basis. I try listening to alternative from time to time, but I pick what music I listen to depending on how I want myself to be influenced. It's actually a very calculated process.

7.       What surprises would we find in your music collection?
Well you might not picture a white redheaded college student when you listen to my music, there's one thing haha. But honestly I really try to approach each song in a different and unique way, so hopefully you find that I sound a little bit different on each track. Whether it's the delivery I'm using, the beat itself, or the overall sound, I just try to take alternative approaches.

8.       Todays music is about collaborations what "hot" rapper out now, you would love to work with on a project?
A lot of people come to mind. Besides the artists I listed before, I'd love to work with Skylar Grey, Krewella, Dia Frampton, Vinylz, and anyone else that I think would sound good together on a track. Although I kind of hate giving away verses, I'm always open to collaborations as long as the music comes out great.

9.       What do you think your listeners will get out of your music?
Hmm, I don't really know. I hope they get something different out of each song. I obviously want my fans to relate to what I'm saying, but I never make it my goal to put out something they can relate to. I just say what comes to mind and hope that someone out there can connect with it. I want my listeners to see all the different sides of me. I want them to pay close attention to my content, I want them to have fun listening to my records, I want them to get a feel for my perspective and where I'm coming from. I don't care if they like what they hear, I just want my audience to get a good idea of who I am. I want to be understood, just like the rest of the world.

10.   What do you hope to do with your music?
I really have no goals when it comes to my music. Meaning I don't have any accomplishments that I'm trying to reach. I'm just going to give it my all on every record and in everything I do, and whatever happens happens. It would be really cool to perform on some huge stages and callab with some of my favorite artists, but I've realized it's more important to me to have diverse experiences, instead of just trying to be the best (which I believe is actually unobtainable). 

11.   Where do you see the generation heading?
It's hard to tell. I got to give props to EDM for bringing back the power of music festivals. I think that the radio is and always have ruined music to a certain extent. Hopefully the internet, iPhones, etc. will diminish the radio waves. It's not that radio plays bad music, but when they overplay songs again and again, it tends to make me sick of the record real fast. It's all going to depend on where the internet takes us. I think because Hip Hop is so diverse and can be fused with any other genre of music, it won't die off completely. I just hope to have people listening to Hip Hop by the time I'm retired. People need lyrics.

12.   Is there any advice you'd like to give to young aspiring artist ?
Pretty simple, just be yourself. It takes a long time to trust yourself, but you got to realize that you have a lot to offer the world, although it's very important to stay true to your conscience. You have a responsibility as a human being to leave a positive impact, so just go out there and have fun and spread peace. Everything else can just fill in the blanks.

13.   What projects should we be on the lookout for in the near future?
My LP "Sinfluence" is coming this November at IamIRusH.com I've been recording it for about 13 months and I really think you'll find something you like, hopefully a few records! Along with a few promo videos coming this September, I will also be releasing my second single entitled, "I'm a Punk". If you haven't already, then go checkout my first single "Don't Look At Me", which is a music video I filmed in Chicago and East Lansing, MI. It's got some weird visuals!

14.   Any shout outs?
I got to give a shout out to Death Chamberz Music for this opportunity, I really appreciate you guys posting my music. Anyone and everyone that takes time to listen to my music and support me will always have my undying gratitude! 

Be on the lookout for the Sinfluence LP coming Fall 2014 at IamIRusH.com 

-IRusH
@LuckoftheIRusH

Comments

Popular Posts