Death Chamberz Music Interview of Rey Stackz

Death Chamberz Music Interview of Rey Stackz

1.       How did you get your name?
My name comes from a lot of different things, “Rey” is spanish for “King”, I consider myself a king and anyone around me to have the qualifications of a king or queen, in that they control their world, their universe. The “Stackz” comes from the more human element we all have, the shortcomings, the ideas we’ve been sold on. People tend to do so much for money or the idea of security that having money brings, in a way I think the name helps me find that security within myself, while at the same time reminding me where I was and want to be.
2.    What inspired you to become an artist?
I’m not really sure, I kinda fell into my love for music, it wasn’t really a conscience decision, more of a series of sacrifices, that turned something I would do around my friends into something I was willing to give to the world. I tend to find inspiration in the little things though, I know a lot of people in jail, so simply being able to is inspiration enough.
3.       When and how  did you start? And have you created any records yet? or mixtape?
I used to battle in high school, I think a lot of rappers in my generation tried that though, but me and my friends gravitated to that at first, though at the time, sports always over-shadowed rap. I ended up getting a chance to play ball down at Georgia Southern for a bit but got injured and pretty much lost my football career. After that, rap was the “other door that opened” after the football option was gone. My first time using an actual microphone, I had to pay a guy with a case of beer, the hardest part was getting it since I was like 18 or 19 at the time. I got on my first songs shortly after with this group of rappers called “Street Kingz”. I didn’t drop my own project until 2013 with Area 929 and that only happened because I didn’t know any producers, I figured it would bring them to me, if they knew I could rap, then maybe they would find me.
4.       What’s your favorite thing to do when you aren’t writing/producing/playing etc?
I’m a very chill person, my days are actually pretty routine at this point, so if i’m not making music…i’m probably at work. Other then work, I chill with my family, smoke tree..and listen to music. That actually may take the cake, if it can..listening to music..or listening anything for that matter. Listening is a lost art these days...genuinely, whole heartedly listening…people don’t do that anymore. I like to chill, fade into my surroundings and just listen to whats going on around me, you’ll find out some of the craziest stuff like that…i read somewhere that a wise man does not remain wise by sharing his wisdom…i think the listening thing is my interpretation of that.
5.       Who are your musical inspirations?
Well, I’m southern so lets knock out the obvious, Goodie MOB, Outkast, UGK allat, but I honestly vibe with Oldies the most. The feeling people put into their music back then…where you can get chills from what another person was going through within a song..I love that. The Otis Reddings, Ben Kings and Sam Cookes of the world. 
6.       What kind of music do you listen to today?
Everything, my playlist titled “stay (+)” has everything from Zapp, Wyclef, Cash Money, Case, Bone Thugs and John Legend to Bob Marley, Jay Electronica, Frank Ocean, Starlito, MGMT, Phil Collins, Kanye West and Action Bronson. 
7.       What surprises would we find in your music collection?
The complete System of a Down discography on my Mac either that or the fact that the first cd i ever spent money on was So Full of Love by the O’Jays.
8.       Todays music is about collaborations what "hot" rapper out now, you would love to work with on a project?
Andre 3000...as a fan and a competitive person I think we would make some dope music…the storytelling, the bars..thassepic. Aside from majorly known people I think me and Atlanta rappers Yani Mo or 6lack would make a dope project, Kevin Gates would be crazy to collab with, on a different note, maybe SZA, she’s dope too. 
9.       What do you think your listeners will get out of your music?
A new perspective, beginning with my perspective on the songs and hopefully, resulting in the new ways they see the world after listening. I’m a regular person so expect contradictions, expect good flows inspired by bad days and dope ass beats, 'cause we love that in the South. All in all, just a different experience from track to track.
10.   What do you hope to do with your music?
I think every artist hopes to change something with their music, whether its where they are in life as far as location or social status/monetary state….I also think that goals and motives change as people mature and surpass expectations and shit. So for right now, my only goal is to be consistent, I’ve been able to be me and make songs that people like...I’m still having fun and learning who I am everyday. I just want to continue that right now and be able to share the good times with the people that deserve them. 
11.   Where do you see the generation heading?
I feel like we as a generation are gonna have to decide that for ourselves, we’re still trying to enjoy life, yet we’re at the point where we fully understand the aspect of consequences, so making decisions is really that ID vs Super ego battle with the generation’s well-being hanging in the balance. With all that being said, I feel like shit could be a lot worse for us, I don’t think we’ve given up…and growing up in the South, someone’s grandma will tell you, “Hope is half the battle."
12.   Is there any advice you'd like to give to young aspiring artist ?
Be true to yourself, first and always. 
13.   What projects should we be on the lookout for in the near future?
I’m dropping my project 'Guide to Growth & Development’ sometime soon, whenever we feel the time is right. I’m trying my best to grasp this whole "patience” thing right now. In the meantime, I’m releasing songs on my soundcloud page. 

Comments

Popular Posts