Exclusive interview: The Alchemist (2014)

Exclusive interview: The Alchemist (2014)

I had the honor to interview my favorite producer:
Adramatic.com: What’s the song you enjoyed the most recording for the Step Brothers’ project?
The Alchemist: Legendary Mesh, it was nuts.
Adramatic.com: With all the rapper you produce for, it must be a dilemma to know for which one u’d give your best productions. So how do you choose?
The Alchemist: I don’t know… The one who’s gonna be the biggest and make the most noise.
Adramatic.com: You released the Albert Einstein album with Prodigy, there’s the IMDKV track which is one of my favorite of 2013, what was your inspiration behind that beat?
The Alchemist: For the whole project I was taking a bunch of old school 80′s rap beats and mixed them with weird dark samples, taking more drums from the 80′s rap type shit and just blended them.
Adramatic.com: How would you describe it?
The Alchemist: Grandmaster Cash meets Goblins’ soundtrack from Suspiria’s soundtrack.
I love that song, when we do it live it always works.
Adramatic.com: Can we expect some new collaborations with Nas?
The Alchemist: Man I hope, we’ve been having a little bit of contact lately, he’s one of the best of all times, we’ll see.
Adramatic.com: I’d like to know more about my two favorites songs from Step Brothers (Alchemist & Evidence).
The first one is Let Yourself Go. So what was your inspiration behind that beat?
The Alchemist: I made it in Eminem’s crib on the headphones on the MPC 2000 XL. Eastern european record, chopped it up. I made it with the headphones so it was different.
Adramatic.com: The second one if So Fresh:
The Alchemist: I just had a good feeling to it, it reminded me of It Was A Good Day by Ice Cube, something like that, just had a good feel.
Adramatic.com: I’m kind of surprised that you still don’t have a production on an Eminem’s album. Does he listen to your beats?
The Alchemist: Yeah, absolutely. I think it’s just my fault, I just didn’t make the right thing that fits for him you know what I mean? I just have to focus. When the time is right, it will probably happens, it’s probably my fault.
Adramatic.com: I feel that the majority of your beats are better than what he’s taking for his albums.
The Alchemist: Ohhhh that’s just subjective, I appreciate it though.
Adramatic.com: Do you make him listen to some underground?
The Alchemist: For sure, when I get a chance, I let him hear stuff, I played him Jay Electronica for the first time. Whenever I got his ears I try to play some shit that’s interesting, that I think he’ll like. It just needs to have syllables, otherwise he won’t be into it.
Adramatic.com: Did you make him listen to Below The Heavens?
The Alchemist: Not yet.
Adramatic.com: Raaah you got to!
The Alchemist: I will try that, good idea. He’ll like it, he’ll probably like it.
Adramatic.com: What’s your favorite song from his last album?
The Alchemist: Evil Twin.
Adramatic.com: With who would you like to do a full album?
The Alchemist: Kool G Rap, Rakim, Earl Sweatshirt, MF Doom, Jay-Z
Adramatic.com: What was the favorite beat your produced?
The Alchemist: One of my favorites beats is Give You Light by Snoop Dogg
Adramatic.com: Are you working on a new solo album?
The Alchemist: Yeah
Adramatic.com: Can you tell something about it? Featurings?
The Alchemist: I don’t know yet, I’m just making music but when it forms something that sound like a project I’ll start.
Adramatic.com: What’s the beat you didn’t produce that make you jealous?
The Alchemist: Just Blaze “You Don’t Know”
Adramatic.com: Which instrumental you’d like to be remembered for when you’ll die?
The Alchemist: We Gonna Make It
Adramatic.com: Is there a song you always wanted to sample but never achieved?
The Alchemist: Nautilus, or another but I can’t remember the name, it was in American Me, the movie.
Adramatic.com: What was the song that took you the most time to produce?
The Alchemist: Smile
Adramatic.com: Could you release a full album of productions but more like a melody, like a composition from the start to the end?
The Alchemist: Yeah I’m gonna make one, even two, some with samples, some without samples.
Adramatic.com: What’s your favorite album from 2013?
The Alchemist: Roc Marciano probably.
January 16th, Ghent (Belgium)

Comments

Popular Posts