Death Chamberz Music Interview Jak Skelly

Death Chamberz Music Interview Jak Skelly 

1.    How did you get your name?
Jak skelly is short for Jack Skellington from nightmare before Xmas, I felt a strong connection to that character since I was kid. I'm artistic, dark and very ambitious.

2.    What inspired you to become a artist?
 In 1993 I wrote my first rhyme after seeing my brothers video taping themselves lip singing Rap songs from that era. I haven't stopped rapping since.

3.       When and how  did you start? And have you created any records yet? or mixtape?
I started rapping in 93, I started taking it serious in O4/05 after meeting my manager who had a indie label at the time called Hidden Hand Ent. He offered me a contract after recording at his studio a few times. I created 3 mix tapes with him but only 2 came out, we toured the tristate and got amazing responses. We parted ways shortly after, but in 2012 we linked up again and i'm currently working on my newest mixtape "Respect The Mecca" and few other projects for 2014

4.       What’s your favorite thing to do when you aren’t writing/producing/playing etc?
I love hanging out with my daughter and family.. Having game nights and drinking. Smoking weed with a cool, intelligent, beautiful woman. A nice movie with some junk food is always good too.

5.       Who are your musical inspirations?
Eminem, CANIBUS, Big Pun and Wu Tang probably are my biggest inspirations. I continue to get inspired every day, most recently it's been Hopsin, Joey Badass, Slaughter house and Tech nine. My daughter is also my biggest inspiration because she keeps me focused on a better future for her and her mother

6.       What kind of music do you listen to today?
I mainly just listen to Hip Hop, I listen to a little bit of everything. Classic Rock is dope.

7.       What surprises would we find in your music collection?
You'll find some Terry Jack, Harry Belafonte, Cab Callowa, old school, classic rock , and r&b

8.       Todays music is about collaborations what "hot" rapper out now, you would love to work with on a project?
 I'd love to work with Kendrick Lamar and Joell Ortiz. They're monsters and I know it would be an interesting collabo.

9.       What do you think your listeners will get out of your music?
A clear insight to Who Jak Skelly is. Pure vintage east coast hip hop with a new school vibe.

10.   What do you hope to do with your music?
I hope my music inspires people to respect the art form. More then the business side. I hope it makes people understand its cool to be themselves at all times.

11.   Where do you see the generation heading?
 I'm not sure where this generation is heading, but shit its getting weirder everyday, rappers rocking dresses, leggings and skirts... All i know is I'm doing what I do best. I make hip hop music that caters to the hip hop culture.

12.   Is there any advice you'd like to give to young aspiring artist ?
The advice I always give is Be yourself! Love and respect your craft! Study the history of hip hop before getting into the business. Look up how and why it started, respect the art form! When you have respect for the culture you'll take more pride in your music. Also respect the Mecca!! (new York)

13.   What projects should we be on the lookout for in the near future?
 I'm dropping a freestyle everyday in the month of march, a full length song every Monday. That project is called Jak Madness. Shortly after I will be dropping my Gem Respect The Mecca vol1!! My single Respect The Mecca is out now on my website www.jakskellymusic.com

14.   Any shout outs?
shout out to Hidden Hand! Music Ent! Sayjin Tyler from itzbmradio.com Team USA! Kos! Js1n.com 12am Productions! Jay Are on the beat! Sky Lab Ent JMR! Dj Puerto Roc! Jam Young!! And all the real hip hop heads I got you!!!! JAK!!!!!!!!!


Comments

Popular Posts