Death Chamberz Music Interview @_Kohai , the Wonderguy

Death   Chamberz Music Interview Kohai, the Wonderguy

1.       How did you get your name?

The Name Kohai was the instructor name I had when I taught Shotokan Karate. Just like there's Sensei's I was Kohai. And 'the Wonderguy' part came honestly out of nowhere haha just liked the ring to it.

2.    What inspired you to become a artist?

I always attribute two things for making me want to rap, the song 3030 by Deltron 3030 and Earl Sweatshirt's EARL mixtape. The fact that he wrote some of those songs at 15, to this day motivates me to become better.

3.       When and how  did you start? And have you created any records yet? or mixtape?

I started with some wack ass rhymes and a MacBook with Garageband haha. I have 3 EPs out (TheEEEPEEE, Wonderguy EP, and [Adult Swim] EP) I have two mixtapes out with my rap group (What the FoLK Vol.1 and SummertimeFun) and Lucid was my first solo Album. You can find all this stuff on my soundcloud (soundcloud.com/wonderguy) I also have a music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OCZByuU9vA)

4.       What’s your favorite thing to do when you aren’t writing/producing/playing etc?

When I'm not rapping, I'm usually skating or smoking or watching anime haha a lot of people give me shit for watching cartoons all day, but it's whatever ~

5.       Who are your musical inspirations?

My musical inspirations are Eminem, Method Man, Earl, Tyler, the Creator, and probably my friend Che.

6.       What kind of music do you listen to today?

My music taste is insane! I kinda have the Arctic Monkeys new record on rotation and I really liked Childish Gambino's new album. I'm getting more into ambient type stuff like PanTY RaiD also.

7.       What surprises would we find in your music collection?

Man, you'll find some weird shit in there. I think I have like some Justin Beiber shit in there. Also have some Mary J. Blige and Sade haha I guess that's a bit different

8.       Todays music is about collaborations what "hot" rapper out now, you would love to work with on a project?

Yo, getting on a track with Mac Miller would be so tight. That dude's totally transformed. I mean I've liked him since his KIDS mixtape, but his flow now is rad and his production is fire. So probably him.

9.       What do you think your listeners will get out of your music?

Honestly, I'm just bringing up some issues I think other people can relate to. We've all felt alone, we've all dealt with heartbreak, this record is basically showing that 'hey, you're not alone, and you can totally get past it.'

10.   What do you hope to do with your music?

Global. I wanna take over the world with my sounds and my words. I think music is such a strong part of society and I wanna mold it in a positive way.

11.   Where do you see the generation heading?

Damn, what a question. I'm hopeful haha Musically, our generation is damned confused. We don't know what we like due to our internet-length attention span, but we'll see. Society wise, I think our generation is cool. I feel like we're reaching an era of understanding and togetherness that's gonna be a positive change to the old style of things.

12.   Is there any advice you'd like to give to young aspiring artist ?

KEEP GOING! I remember thinking making music was just a hobby for fun. Never did I think I'd be playing shows in front of huge crowds of people. Keep pushing, keep progressing, and the benefits will all come soon enough, I promise.

13.   What projects should we be on the lookout for in the near future?

I'm doing an EP over Madvillain's 'Madvillainy' called The Villain of Time. Probably gonna be 6 or 7 tracks. And I just started working on my 2nd solo project which is a concept album called 'Neo-Tokyo1995'.

14.   Any shout outs?

Shout outs to Everyone from Rahway! Shouts out to the FoLK! (soundcloud.com/folknj) Shouts out to theDOOM, Dre Doso, ho99o9, NJ Rebels, Subjxct5, Noremac, The Response Ability, Rutgers, and the whole 94 movement ~

Comments

Popular Posts